By constitution, Council is composed of the chairs of the church's administrative committees. It also includes the chair of the UCW plus the church's representatives to Presbytery, the Director of Music, the Minister of Worship & Congregational Life, an appointed secretary and the church adminstrator (ex officio). The current chair is George Jolink and the past chair is Bob Swartman.
Check out the Archive of Recent Past Council Minutes below. For older minutes, consult the Church office
Members of the former Worship and Christian Development Committees continue over this year to test the model of a single Faith Formation Committee with rotating chairs to date.
Advent/Christmas Services and Programmes were reviewed noting that the London Free Press Ad seemed to have succeeded in encouraging members of the larger community to attend through this season.
Upcoming Special Services will include:
i) Jan. 27—MOE Service with Jim Hutchison from the General Council office
Greeters and Ushers: A more detailed set of instructions has been crafted by Charlotte Oldham to ensure that newcomers are welcomed warmly.
Lenten Easter events will include:
Constructive Feedback Formats
Constructive feedback formats both within the committee and from the larger congregation will be encouraged as we continue to live through this time of transition at FSA.
Our committee did not meet in January.
On Friday evening, January 25, we are hosting a fund-raiser for East London United Church Outreach (ELUCO) at FSA with Marty Kolls and Jenny Berkel. Soup will be served at 6:30 for $10 a ticket. The concert begins at 7:30. Tickets for the music are $20 and are available on the FSA website, online and at the door.
January 27 is Mission Sunday with Speaker Jim Hodgson who is Program Coordinator for the Caribbean and Latin America Partnership Program.
Our next meeting will be held on February 11
· Parlour odour - A chemical smell was noticed in the Parlour that brought complaints from staff and tenant above. Initially we suspected a possible spill on the carpet so some carpet cleaning was completed along with ventilation. Later a brass cleaner aerosol container was found in the Parlour that had leaked.
· Fireside Room asbestos removal - WH Smith Construction completed the asbestos removal from steam pipes along the north wall of the main Fireside room. Re-insulation was included. Some water damage due to a foundation water leak can now be investigated.
· Parking Lot East Fence Repair - Fence boards have been damaged and removed from the parking lot east fence. Local high school students accessed the back parking lot through the opening to smoke pot on more than one occasion. They left when asked. A temporary board has been installed and the students have not returned. The existing fence is falling apart in different areas and should be replaced. Let's discuss.
· Garden tractor has been picked up for winter maintenance and storage. David Beech requested the rear tires are worn and should be replaced. Kensal Rentals will inspect and quote.
· Heat trace cable has been installed by London Electric on the flat roof near the Atrium glass and east flat roof gutters. This included new ground fault protection and controls. This will resolve roof leaks due to ice build up.
· West Narthex Exterior Light is no longer working. London Electric disconnected and removed the fixture due to deteriorated wiring. The fixture will be rewired, missing glass pane replaced and be reinstalled.
· A Wireless Door Bell was installed at the east exterior entrance door near the parking lot to notify the sewing group of member arrivals. This is not intended for staff to respond.
· Emergency light inspection was completed and some repairs are in process.
· Fire extinguisher inspection has been completed with no issues.
· West choir loft ceiling lights - 2 out of 5 lights stopped working. The lights are not included in the dimmer panel control but by a switch on the organ console. London Electric replaced a bad control relay and corrected some reverse polarity wiring to resolve the issue.
· Proudfoot Hall Refrigerator - The new double glass door refrigerator was delivered but not installed. There is a height interference with the above cupboards that was not anticipated. Shorted models are not available so some cabinet work will need to be completed before installation.
The Board will meet next on February 20, 2019. The last December 5, 2018 Trustees meeting was reported to the December Council meeting. Here are a few updates since that meeting:
Jane Hill, Alan Salmoni and Bob Kennedy have agreed to allow their names to stand for nomination to the Board of Trustees as new members to be elected at the ACM.
The Board has met on January 15, 2019 and continues to work on finding a new chair to replace John Eberhard and David Manness.
Bruce Moor has talked with David McKane about re-initiating his work on the Proudfoot Legacy Fund. This will be done on a volunteer basis working with this committee of Trustees and other congregation members. Emphasis will be on discussing estate planning and end of life giving with members of the congregation.
At December 31, 2018 the Proudfoot Legacy Unrestricted Trust Fund was $291,512, with the Proudfoot Legacy Restricted Trust Fund set at $2,500,000.
Memorials Sunday will be held on May 5, 2019 with the dedication of a leaf on the Proudfoot Legacy Tree celebrating the life of Bob Slater.
Sunday Worship at 10:30
Order of Service
... to THIS WEEK AT FSA