read current issue

(our quarterly magazine)

 

YouTube

(home for our Mining the Mystery videos)

The History of First-St. Andrew's Church

Read Gavin McGregor's biography of the the man who founded our church, William Proudfoot … An Auld Acquaintance.

Get a sense of the related time line.

photo of Wm Proudfoot

Although it may look like it's been there forever, the Sanctuary space has gone through a variety of transformations over the years. more.

  • 1938 - Renovation of Sanctuary
    • rebuilding and relocation of organ in chancel "pit" and pipes to chambers on either side of chancel to provide open chancel with east and west choir stalls facing each other
    • removal of galleries on east and west side walls
    • creation of centre aisle with new pews and chancel paneling on main floor
    • central pulpit replaced with present side pulpit and lectern
    • installation of present stained glass windows in chancel
  • 1949 - War memorial stained glass windows dedicated
  • 1955 - Sanctuary redecorated
    • symbols for 12 Apostles, 4 Gospels, Alpha and Omega painted on ceiling
    • several stained glass memorial windows dedicated
  • 1956 - Present Chapel and Christian Education Building dedicated after 1905 building was gutted and rebuilt
  • 1969 - New Casavant Freres tracker organ installed in balcony of sanctuary and chancel redesigned
  • 1974 - New Casavant Freres organ installed in Chapel
  • 1975 - Ceiling symbols covered with drywall when some plaster fell
  • 1982 - Extensive updating of Christian Education Building and kitchens
  • 1995 - Access addition incorporating chapel and sanctuary entrances, an elevator and new washrooms, installed
  • 1999 - Sanctuary refurbished and ceiling symbols replaced
  • 2005 -" Lower Hall" refurbished and renamed "Proudfoot Hall

First Presbyterian ("United" after Church Union in 1925)

  • Rev. William Proudfoot: 1832-1851
  • Rev. Dr. J.A. Proudfoot: 1851-1889
  • Rev. Dr. William J. Clark: 1890-1907
  • Rev. Dr. John G. Inkster: 1907-1913
  • Rev. Dr. William J. Knox: 1913-1921
  • Col. The Rev. William Beattie: 1821-1933
  • Rev. Dr. Moir A.J. Waters: 1933-1937

St. Andrew's Presbyterian ("United" after Church Union in 1925)

  • Rev. Dr. John Scott: 1850-1875
  • Rev. James A. Murray: 1875-1894
  • Rev. Dr. Robert Johnston: 1895-1903
  • Rev. Dr. James Ross: 1903-1913
  • Rev. Dr. Donald C. MacGregor: 1914-1936
  • Rev. Dr. John Y. MacKinnon: 1936-1937

First-St. Andrew's United Church (as of January 1st 1938)

  • Rev. Dr. Moir A.J. Waters: 1938-1940
  • Rev. Dr. John Y. MacKinnon: 1938-1951
  • Rev. W.S. MacLeod: 1941-1942
  • Rev. D. M. Bishop: 1942-1946
  • Rev. O.P. Hossie: 1946-1947
  • Rev.G.A. Cowper-Smith: 1947-1949
  • Rev. J.S. Gibson: 1949-1958
  • The Very Rev. Angus J. MacQueen: 1951-1964
  • Rev. Dr. C.D. McLellan: 1958-1965
  • Rev. Alexander J. Farquhar: 1964-1980
  • Rev. Dr. G.B. Gray: 1965-1966
  • Rev. G. P. Cumming: 1966-1969
  • Rev. Dr. Moir A.J. Waters: 1969-1972
  • Rev. D. Parsons: 1971-1973
  • Rev. I.R. MacKay: 1974-1978
  • Rev. D.R. Carothers: 1978-1980
  • Rev. Anthony Gazzard: 1980-1989
  • Major The Rev. J. Piercey MacLean: 1981-1990
  • Rev. Dr. Frank Meadows: 1989-2000 (Minister Emeritus: 2006-2011)
  • Rev. Deborah Carter: 1990-1991
  • Rev. Catherine Moore: 1992-1998
  • Rev. Dr. Susan Shelstad: 1997-2011
  • Rev. Dr. David McKane: 2002-2010 (Minister Emeritus: 2014-
  • Rev. Dr. Kate Crawford: 2010-2014
  • Rev. Tom Hiscock: 2013-2017
  • Rev Michelle Down: 2015-

 

350 Queens Ave. at Waterloo St. London ON, N6B 1X6 • 519-679-8182 • mail@fsaunited.com
Office Hours Tues - Fri. 9am to 2pm

Facebook link